Tuesday, October 19, 2010

loud voices

It is Eric Hoffer that once said that it is loneliness that makes the loudest noise...

The noise I hear is my 7 meter long passage way that echos back in darkness, “Hunny, I am home” As if I just entered the deepest cave, somewhere down the Abyss, which in actual fact is my home.

This is my voice of loneliness.

I think it takes bravery to be alone. It forces one to visit ones self, and to knock on those doors, and find some inner truths and reflect.
Some of us would rather be in bad company than be alone. Are we that afraid of our skeletons? Why not embrace this feeling of solitude instead? I have...

One does not have to be physically lonely in order to be alone. Some of us feel lonely among others. I did, through parts of my marriage. Some relationships are like two passing ships at night. You are aware of one another, but in the dark, you just sail silently past one another. Some ships let off their horns, or flash their headlights, but never do they stand still and communicate the condition of the ocean they are drifting on.

If one has to google loneliness a whole lof of medical health related issues pop up.
Loneliness Increases Alzheimer risks, loneliness links to high blood pressure, loneliness is the cause of ADHD, loneliness biggest reason for suicide? Apparently they have shown that loneliness can be just as detrimental as smoking.
It all seems a bit contradictory to me. I see so many more headlines of partners killing each other than people jumping off bridges because they were lonely. In fact, I think people initially jump off bridges cause they were in a relationship.

Advancement of Science, is the first to use fMRI scans to study the connections between perceived social isolation (or loneliness) and activity in the brain. The ventral striatum, which is critical to learning, is a key portion of the brain and is activated through primary rewards such as food and secondary rewards such as money. Social rewards and feelings of love also may activate the region. “Although loneliness may be influence brain activity, the research also suggests that activity in the ventral striatum may prompt feelings of loneliness.The study raises the intriguing possibility that loneliness may result from reduced reward-related activity in the ventral striatum in response to social rewards." www..sciencedaily...

Animals who live alone are :
Orangutangs, except for mother and child. Males and females come together only for one day to mate.
Almost all spiders
Eagles
Tigers
Jaguars
Leopards
Polar bears
Whales
and some rhinos.
These are all great animals. Question is, are most of these not going extinct? 

Leonardo da Vinci said, If you are alone you belong entirely to yourself....If you are accompanied by even one companion you belong only half to yourself, or even less, in proportion to the thoughtlessness of his conduct; and if you have more than one companion you will fall more deeply into the same plight

Perhaps its a question of control. Did circumstances lead up to your loneliness or is it a choice that you have made? Of course, as humans we have a need to have control over what life throws our way. 
In that case, I am choosing to be an Eagle for a while. I am spreading my wings, high above the sky, over looking what lies ahead, and when I feel like it, I shall descend to land and mingle among the the other animals in the forest.

The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that loneliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, peculiar to myself and to a few other solitary men, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence. - Thomas wolfe

1 comment: